Mission

Washington Yakima Mission

Friday, September 8, 2017

The Great American Solar Eclipse 2K17 and Matt's Baptism!

August 21, 2107


Hello!


The Solar Eclipse Viewing Apparatus
I hope you all can still read this email after staring at the sun! We had a pretty good view of the solar eclipse here in Yakima. Elder Allsop and I made sure to get some good pictures! Also, it's so cool to see how Heavenly Father can help us with even the littlest things. Last week, we found out the Yakima was all sold out of Solar Eclipse glasses, and we were bummed. We were praying all week that somehow we could get a pair, and then at church on Sunday, a member family offered us an extra pair to share. Then, at our dinner that night, another family gave us their extra pair! I'm glad God loves me enough to even help me out with my nerdy desire to stare at the sun through cheap plastic lenses :)
​​That moment when the whole northwest was doing this
We picked up a bunch of new investigators last week! One of the most solid is a young hispanic mom with attitude named Josie. The back story is this: Elder Andrew Shugart, a missionary that servied here a year ago, has been back in Yakima with his family for Matt & Sarah's baptism. While he was here, he went out with us a few times and even set an appointment up with one of his former investigators, Josie. So we went to teach her, and she is ready to learn again! Things have been crazy in her life and her husband isn't the most supportive, but she really wants to get baptized and is now on-date for September 30th! She is so funny. I hope I get to teach her a few more times before I get transferred... if I get transferred. We are also teaching a mormon.org referral for a lady named Sally, and her great niece, Brittany. We have taught them twice now, and Brittany is showing some real interest in letting God into her life. Sally is also pretty fun to teach, but mostly because it's kinda like a rodeo where the bull-rider is the lesson and she is the bull. She is off-topic at all times and in all things and in all places. But we love her!

Matt Palmer was baptized on Saturday! It's been a long time coming. I have sacrificed more for Matt and his family than probably any other investigator on my mission, and it made watching him go under the water so much more rewarding. His whole family was at the baptism, and there was also a good attendance from the ward. The funniest part of the whole thing was probably when Elder Allsop and I got up to give the little "half time show" while they were in the bathroom getting dressed. We pulled a TV into the room to show a video, said a few words, dimmed the lights, and then pushed play. Aaaaand the video was in Spanish. Haha. So we had to punt for our lives, and ended up sharing a message about the importance of the scriptures and the Book of Mormon. It all worked out! Matt was just beaming through the whole thing. After the ordinance, and he took his seat again and looked back at
me and gave me a little half smile and head nod. I did it back. He has worked a long time for this day to come! On Sunday, I had the privilege of confirming him, and he gave hugs to everyone in the circle after it was over. It was the perfect start to a great Sabbath!

Luckily, I took about a million pictures last week. So I will try to send a few of my favorites! Love you!

Peace and blessings,
Elder Moser





No comments:

Post a Comment