Mission

Washington Yakima Mission

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

6 Months Down and Transfers!?

April 11, 2016

Oh. My. Goodness.

I hit my six month mark this past week. Where does the time go? It feels like years ago that I started my mission, but it just feels like weeks at the same time. Anyway, tons of stuff happened this week with transfers, springtime, and all the other stuff, so here we go!


Our investigators are doing so well! Even though May and Dean didn't come to church yesterday, Vermont came for the first time. Of course, every time we have an investigator come for the first time, something goes wrong. Yesterday the microphone was popping really loudly for the first 10 minutes, and Vermont was just chuckling the whole time. So at least he got a little bit of entertainment :) We also taught an awesome couple this past week, Rod and Sherri. They are so nice and sincere in there desire. I really wish that I could be here to see them progress. It's also been so sweet to see the members here get excited after realizing that we are teaching people that are like them.

Hey, here's a story that I don't have a place for: On the drive back from district council, we saw some guy lying on his back in the middle of a construction zone with a worker lightly kicking his foot to see if he was alive. At first we thought he had gotten hit by a car, but then we saw the perfectly balanced beer can in his hand. Reservations are funny. Later that day, we were walking out of Safeway after using the bathroom and some drunk guy who had just gotten out of the hospital was trying to get a ride back to Nespelem. We told him that we couldn't because it was a church owned vehicle, and he said, "Hey man, I'm a 7th day Adventist!" We proceeded to have a very interesting conversation with him, and after we left, we realized that it was probably the guy that we saw passed out on the side of the road. Haha. And by the clothes (or lack thereof) he was wearing, we're 90% sure he escaped from the hospital. so there's that.

Saturday was just awesome for us all day long. We were busy all day teaching people and inviting them to church. That evening, as we were walking up to Vermont's house, some people having a barbecue next door called us over. We were prepared to gracefully back out of a drunken Mormon Bash, but they actually just wanted to feed us. And only one of them was drunk! The 4 friends sat us down and just wanted to talk. Then the drunkard, Bill, said "Hey guys, lets listen to what Macklemore and Justin Timberlake have to say over here." So then we started teaching them about the restoration,right then and there, over capri-suns and fried chicken. They had tons of questions about things they've heard about the Mormon church, and when we answered them, they really seemed to get it. After teaching them for a while, Bill ran to the neighbors house to invite them to the party, and when Vermont pulled into his driveway, they ran and got him, too! So by the end of the night we were basically teaching the entire block about the restoration. It was the coolest thing ever. And they said that we were cool enough that we could come back later, so that's pretty neat.

Flexing for the camera.
I hope you all have your seat belts on, because this gringo is getting transferred for the first time! President Lewis called us Saturday morning and told me that I'm headed south to Sunnyside (down by Yakistan) to be a district leader. My new companion will be Elder Harris, who came out with Elder Folkman. He said that we should get along great because he's a goof. I'm pretty excited. Apparently, Sunnyside is super flat, super warm, and the hispanic community is massive, so Elder Harris and I will have a very interesting time together. Haha.  The mission is definitely groovin. Elder Folkman and I are trying to tie up every loose end before I leave. We also borrowed a members old guitar, and we are going to sing "Savior, Redeemer of my Soul" for some members as a thank-you. It's getting there. Elder Folkman really wants to learn how to sing. And he's definitely improved, but... You know. I wish you could see some of our practices. They probably look really funny. Try explaining to a weight lifter how to keep your soft pallet up while singing those high notes. It kinda feels like I'm teaching him a foreign language. haha. I'm kinda nervous about leaving for Sunnyside. I just haven't known any other place. But I've been told that the work down there is on FIRE. Being a district leader should be fun as well! We'll see how everything goe​s. 

I love Coulee Dam. The people here are just awesome. They have seen me grow as a missionary, and I have seen them grow as a ward. I've really seen things come alive, both figuratively and literally. It's really hard not to become attatched to an area when you are there for 6 months and the ward is Tiny. I almost feel like I'm leaving for the MTC again because we are all so close. Sunday was especially rough. I was kind of tired of seeing people cry by the end of the day. Even the food bank lady cried when I told her I was leaving. May and Dean just got angry, but they will have to forgive me. I never thought that I would be serving my mission in a place like Coulee Dam, but it's easy for me to see now that this is where I was supposed to be. I'm definitely coming back someday :)

Your favorite Dam Elder,
Elder Moser
Saying goodbye to Coulee Dam....But I WILL be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment