Mission

Washington Yakima Mission

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Here is to 2016!

Dec. 28, 2015

This week was a week of firsts. First Christmas in the mission field, first time skyping home, first (and last) time cutting my companions hair, all the good stuff. I'm learning a ton!

Last Tuesday, I was on exchanges with Elder Boren from Texas. Together, we tracted for several hours, had 20 oyms and 4 people invite us back. It seems like whenever I'm in another Elder's area on exchanges, we meet lots of cool people and I'm always bummed that I won't be there to talk to them again. I also realized how much I've changed since leaving the MTC. I remember that my first time tracting in Yakima, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing or what I was going to say to people. But I've really felt the influence of the spirit as explained in Doctrine and Covenants 100:6; "For it shall be given you in the very hour, yea, in the very moment, what ye shall say... And I give unto you this promise, that inasmuch as ye do this the Holy Ghost shall be shed forth in bearing record unto all things whatsoever ye shall say." When we're out talking to people, I no longer get nervous. I'm excited! And whenever I don't know what to say, my companion does. Sharing the gospel two by two is an amazing thing, and displays a unique kind of unity with the spirit that can't be replicated to that extent in any other setting. It's just the coolest. Exception: Being an English missionary at a Spanish appointment. We had one later that day and I was in the dark. I felt bad for leaving Elder Boren to go at it alone, but that ain't the language they taught me in the MTC.

Wednesday was district council, as usual, and the drive up to Omak was so pretty. Oh man. I wish I could have enjoyed it more, though. I would have if Elder Coy wasn't behind the wheel on roads you could ice skate on. haha. I give Elder Coy a hard time, but he's getting a lot better :) All this snow is really making me miss skiing, though. I keep having dreams about it, but I know that a consecrated missionary would leave those thoughts and desires back home with all of his other stuff. So if anyone catches me muttering "consecration" over and over again, I'm probably thinking about skiing.


The rest of the week was really unproductive as far as missionary work goes. We made brownies and delivered them out on Christmas day to our investigators and tried to shovel people's walks on Christmas Eve, but President Lewis told us not to proselyte Christmas Day at all or Christmas Eve after 6:00. Instead, on Christmas we had a zone gathering here in Coulee Dam. We helped the Senior Missionaries, Elder and Sister Chandler, make breakfast, watched the best two years, and I got a package from my Grandparents.  It was a good morning. After that we went straight to Brother Bond's house and I got to see my family's faces again! We had a good skype call. The rest of the night was spent trying to cheat while playing farkle, and I actually won one. Take that, brother Bond.

Funny story of the week! While we were standing at the little pull off at Disautel pass with the Omak Elders about to start Exchanges. We were about to say a prayer, when Elder Colunga screams "OH SHOOT!" We looked behind us and a giant snow plow was charging us, shooting snow 20 feet high into the trees! We all jumped, but the plow slowed down and then just went around us. This week I also learned that apparently, Texans are afraid of snow plows. Deathly afraid.

It has been a great week. I'm learning a lot about life and meeting lots of new people. I love being a missionary, and I'm so grateful for the knowledge I have of this gospel. I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are living individuals that care about us and love us. I'm so glad that I have the opportunity to share the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, and I know that Joseph Smith truly was a pamphlet.

Tote zins to ya!
Elder Moser
Elder Coy is eating healthy!

Bishop Graham gave us a "shoot the bear" game.


No comments:

Post a Comment